Capturing Morlium

One of the memes I really wanted to attribute to Morlium was Herobrine, so I got together with a friend with a copy of Minecraft and tried to work something out. I knew there was a tuxedo sprite that would work very well with what I was planning. I had a couple problems, however, putting it together. The first difficulty I encountered was that we did not have access to gameplay-recording equipment, since the game was on an XBox and not computer. As a result, we recorded the screen as gameplay. Unfortunately, the usual problem of recording a screen comes into play, that the capture rate of the camera and the frame refresh of the TV clash, causing distortions of the screen. Fortunately, these can be attributed as a plot device, since the distortion was little enough that a viewer can still tell what is going on.

The next problem we had was setting up the scene. We of course needed two players, and again, with only one system, we needed to play splitscreen. We worked to focus the camera solely on one player’s screen. We mounted the camera on putty, which worked somewhat well, but the observant viewer will notice that the camera is moving during the shot (see how the inventory bar floats from touching the bottom to further up on the screen). The rest came down to concealing the in-game clues as to what we were doing. I was hoping to keep the player’s field of view such that I would not have to clip the video frame. Unfortunately, the falling camera meant some of the second player’s screen was visible in the shot, and careless looking around showed the name-bar above Morlium (and the name in the bar was not Morlium!). Unfortunately, windows movie maker does not have any faculties to crop video frames, so I had to download another movie editor called VirtualDub, a no-nonsense no-fluff video editor developed by Avery Lee. It was able to crop the frame by applying a filter to the video. I then took the resulting video and imported it to Windows Movie Maker, which is more convenient for adding credits and trimming the video down. I then recorded a voice-over in audacity and added it to the video, as per some previous videos I have done on this blog.

In the end, I am fairly happy with what I got done. I am not generally a fan of video-editing, so getting it to at least a presentable state was a relief. Special Thanks to Zeke Kassock for helping me out!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *